Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Ain't it Grand....

Mon. 8/11:
We leave New Mexico and head to Tucson to stay with Edward’s friend, Tim. While in Tucson I find out one of the many “benefits” of being married to an aviation freak. Tucson happens to be home to the Pima Air and Space Museum which manages the military's plane bone yard. It is basically a place where they store operational aircraft that are not in use. They choose to do it in Tucson b/c of the temperature and lack of humidity. Edward was like a little kid on the tour. He said he had dreamed about coming here since he was a little boy. Thank goodness he wasn’t let down.

Tues. 8/12:
We wake up early so that we can make it to the Grand Canyon in time to do a little hiking. The drive through Northern Arizona is really pretty. All of a sudden you go from desert and cactus to green trees. The neatest was when we hit about 6000 ft. all the trees turned white; I guess they were birch trees. We stopped for lunch in Flagstaff and couldn’t believe the change in weather. It was almost 90 at 6:30am in Tucson and it had dropped to 75 in Flagstaff.

We rolled into the Grand Canyon around 1:30 and started our hike. This will sound so cheesy but the first time I saw the Grand Canyon it took my breath away. Maybe it was the elevation of around 8000 feet but it really is amazing. Pictures can not do it justice. It is HUGE. We think from the maps that we hiked around 6 miles and I was pooped. One of the stranger things at the Grand Canyon, I would say 9 out of the 10 people we passed on the trail were foreign. Seriously, we might as well have been in Europe or Asia. It was truly bizarre. However, all in all it was amazing. I truly recommend going and seeing it in person.









C130's at the "Bone Yard"













More planes...

















Tim and Mandy in Tuscon












The white trees in Northern Arizona














































































My first view of the Grand Canyon.



























Amazing!















































4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sarah, You and Edward look great at the Grand Canyon! I love hearing about everything. Gma and I are missing you but enjoy keeping up with the blog. Joe and Senthy's wedding the next thing. Mama

Harvey/Emily said...

Hey! Isn't the Grand Canyon amazing?! I remember there being a bunch of Asians when we went too. Strange. I love the picture of you with your AU visor and Edward with his UA one. War Eagle!
emily

anna said...

Sarah that really is breathtaking. I think you should consider taking up photography while you are in hawaii! We have a lot to catch up on call me when you can! I love reading the blog.

anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.